Monday, March 17, 2008

Wright is not wrong.

The Black Church as we know it today was born to us as the child of circumstance and necessity. Throughout the nearly 300 years that it has been in existence it has grown and evolved but still serves a common purpose. I respect the Black Church for its place in society, and I participate in and love what it has become. Today, I am totally disgusted at the way it is being viewed and scrutinized through the American-media magnifying glass. I am most angry at the fact that once again a minority group in America has made the most of what was given to them and those who created the situation will not condemn it. (Soon to be) First Lady Michelle Obama recently stated that she was proud of her country for the first time in her adult life. And today I am sad to report that my pride is in the toilet.

At a time when Black men were spoken to as boys, and women regarded as cattle the Black Church served as a place to give disrespected and displaced people a sense of purpose and feeling of belonging. After days of serving, toiling, and sheer disregard the same man who was called boy could stand in a pulpit as a leader and addressed by a title. Women were treated with respect and made to feel like more than animals.

Ironically, the very same Protestant religion that the Black Church embraced and followed as if it were Orthodox was not indigenous to Black people. The Bible which was used to justify slavery became a book of love and a plan for salvation. Slavery would soon be over and Moses born again. The Black Church, and its people will overcome. The Black Church and its people can rise to any occasion and make it work.

Through Slavery, Reconstruction, Industrial Revolution, World Wars, Women's Rights, Civil Rights', AIDS , and now on the cusp of this country realizing a Black man can become President the Black Church has played a pivotal role. The Black Church is a pillar in society; throughout these major eras in society the Black community has looked to its churches for opportunity, education, communication, uplifting and most of all Salvation.

In American society, Pastors are respected, and in the Black community/family, cousin-Pastor and cousin-Doctor are both respected; but cousin-Pastor is revered. (Or maybe that's just my family.) The Black Church and the Black family (traditionally) are similar in the Pastor is the Father, or the Head. Mama/Deacons can do everything the father can in it's absence, but it is believed, accepted (and Biblical) to have a Pastor or a Father/Husband at the head. Members may mumble but will not really challenge the Pastor; but will take everything to the Deacons who will bring things to his attention when necessary. The same way I would go to my mother to soften my father up but would NEVER oppositionally approach him. And all families have one cardinal rule; WHAT HAPPENS IN THIS HOUSE, STAYS IN THIS HOUSE!

So it is closest to the middle of crazy as I have ever seen that Pastor Jeremiah Wright is under the scrutiny that he is. It is asinine that the media is pulling apart his sermons and people are criticizing his leadership. If you are not a member of Trinity United Church of Christ then what is said there, and what goes on there is none of your business. Up until February 10, 2008 Pastor Wright faithfully served the Lord, and his dutifully served his congregation.

**thank you for reading thus far** and since you are still with me, let me take off my sweater and get down to business....Let's be real, let me be conversational....

Pastor Wright is under the magnifying glass because of his ties to Presidential-hopeful Barack Obama. The Pastor's words are misunderstood and publicly implicated for the purpose of discrediting Barack Obama. America, what kind of world are we living in when we are taking stands against Spiritual Leaders for the purpose of discrediting a mere man? Barack Obama does not have supernatural powers, he breathes oxygen, he drinks water, bleeds red blood and has 32 teeth just like the rest of us. How dare we attack Pastor Wright. Have we forgotten this man represents God?

The question of what attracted Senator Obama to Pastor Wright's church to begin with? And I continue to be baffled that this was even a question..... Why do people join churches? Because of God, Salvation through Jesus and being led by the Holy Spirit. The job of the leader of the Black church is not to just preach. It's not a Sunday morning 11am - 1pm (or so) job, and go home. It's not show up for Wednesday Bible and Friday prayer and go home. It is a 24 hours a day; 7 days a week; rain or shine, sleet, snow, wind or sand storm ON CALL position. The Pastor has to be there for sick, bereaved, to address issues in the community, deal with church business. When done right, it is proactive. It is not a job, it is a person; it is a life. The Black Church is not a place, it is a part of a lifestyle. It is a part of the Black-in-America lifestyle. Only fully understood by those who live the life.

I've never polled, but I'm sure that if 100 Black people who were not faithful church-goers were compared to 100 non-Blacks they could answer more questions about their respective churches correctly. As I am sure if those same 200 people (100 Black, 100 non-Black) were dropped in the middle of a Black Church, almost all of the Black people will be able to correctly identify the First Lady, Chairman of the Deacon Board, Mother Board and point out the Amen-Corner.... they will know the proper titles to address people and when getting ready, most of the women even if they have to will feel self-conscious about wearing pants and open-toe shoes. And at least one of the songs may sound vaguely familiar, perhaps they remember Mama or M'dear singing it while hanging sheets to dry when they were children down in the country. It is a Lifestyle.

For promoting Black business, instilling pride in his community; Reverend Wright has been called 'anti-American.' I am having a lot of trouble accepting how a Black person (descendant of slaves) can be anti-American. (Because I don't want to end up in Guantanamo Bay brought up on charges I want to clarify) I love this country, and I am happy to be free, I am happy to be in a place where I can pull my fully paid for '05 car into the driveway of the home my parents own; where I can type on my laptop; ever so often glimpsing my college graduation ring on my hand; diamonds reflecting the light from the 42" television as my fingers move across the keyboard criticizing the country in which I live. This great opportunity wouldn't be tolerated everywhere. And knowing that if I wasn't in this country I may not have the same opportunity and amenities. But then again, I might.....after all, if the powers that be in this country had it their way I might be in shackles somewhere picking cotton.

**We're still being real, so let's take it there**

There is a difference between American and Black America. If there weren't we wouldn't have to put the Black in front of Churches, Businesses, Schools, and, Neighborhoods (just to name a few.) White is implied, it is automatically assumed that establishments and organizations are White. White is American. Which is why if it is Black the specification must be made......But Black people didn't make it that way. They (we)found a way to survive by creating their own stuff. If Blacks couldn't eat and shop with Whites, what were expected to starve? I think not! White people made it very clear that Black people were viewed as less than humans. This was illustrated by the many signs which hang over entrances to establishments refusing DOGS and NIGGERS. Even Abraham Lincoln, who is held as one of the greatest men in America is quoted as saying "the Negro is not my equal in many respects---certainly not in color, perhaps not in moral or intellectual endowment."

Pastor Wright, a man who served in the United States Marine Corps, and Navy, earned and received a Bachelor's and Master's degree in English(Howard U), a Master's (U of Chicago) and Doctorate in Divinity (United Theological Seminary) and has received 8 honorary degrees from various institutions throughout the country is now deemed anti-American and racist. How is that possible? In a country that actually had laws in place to impede Black people from voting, reading, and marrying White people this man volunteered to protect it. And has given his life to preach God's word to its people.

Pastor Wright was born in 1941, he has memories of the 1950's, he was there for the Civil Rights Movement. His parents and grandparents ASSUREDLY shared with him stories of fear and separation worse than he could have experienced. So why wouldn't this man be supportive of his community? Why shouldn't he promote Black businesses and success? Should he forget about the hundreds of years of injustices because an act was signed? The same people who were against the Act are still around. Just as his grandmother sat up and shared her horrors, another boy born in 1941 of another persuasion heard from his grandmother why Black people are like animals. There is a disparity between Blacks and White's in America. And the more we ignore it, the larger it will grow. Perhaps we should recognize the differences and not fear the past. Let's not be ashamed, let's work to rectify.

Some of Pastor Wright's ideas may not be widely accepted, but in 1935 would anybody have believed that the American government was participating in what is now known as the Tuskegee Syphilis Experiment? Pastor Wright (although now retired) is a man; a man of a certain era, but most importantly a man of God.

I leave with you scripture: TOUCH NOT MINE ANOINTED, AND DO MY PROPHET NO HARM, Psalms 105:15.

As always I love you for reading, feel free to comment......Be blessed- Naomi Hopkins.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Naomi!!!! If that wasn't the most poignant thing I've read all day, then I don't know what was. Sadly, I expected something like this to come up. I was actually surprised that it took (whoever it was that started this ridiculous finger-pointing in the first place) so long to rear its ugly head. While this whole situation does get under my skin, I'm laughing. Really? Is this the best you can do people? I imagine that some group of folks got together in a conference room for hours trying to find "dirt" on The Negro and this is their BEST idea. It's quite sad. Meanwhile, on the other side of the party, another candidate's sketchy past and (albeit alleged) scandals are being swept under the rug. Come on people. We've got to do better!

Anonymous said...

Forget the mad rapper. Here is the mad blogger. You are right. They are only attacking him to get at Barack Obama.

Glad to see you are putting that African American History minor to good use.

Nay Nicole said...

Thanks guys for the comments....

Yes Au Nap--- the other side of the party is chock-full of scandal and mess. While she is so busy attacking her counterpart she is giving the other party all of their ammo.....John McCain is just sitting back (which is probably best) and allowing the party to do its own damage.....but I believe yesterday's speech by our future president will pull things back into perspective.

And Drew boy!--great hearing from you again.....YES, I was mad. Mad that Rev. Wright's ability to spiritually lead was called into question....and newscasters were questioning and dissecting the "Black Church." Outrageous!!!
Being blind, and ignoring things will not make them go away. Let's be honest and face things head on!

JDE Photography said...

You post is way yo long for me to read but just by the heading I know what it's about. I was furious when I heard it in the news. I don't disagree with the Minster one bit!

And Nay, your husband (Senator Obama) played himself after that, I saw him on c-span talking about he disagrees with his "FORMER PASTOR" I didn't like that. He straight up tried to alienate Rev. Wright. I'm getting upset and I'm at work so I'm done, well talk about this later.

::FUMING::

-Josh